Thought I would share some of the easy recipes I used during my uni days, many rely on frozen foods and rice. Meat can be replaces/not used, and extra veggies can be added to suit palate/what is in fridge.
Chicken peas and rice
Can be made vegetarian: no chicken, and swap chicken stock with vegetable stock cubes
- 1/2 onion.
- 1 chicken breat
- 1 chicken stock dissolved in 1/2 pint hot water.
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup basmati or long grain rice.
- chop chicken into cubes
- chop onion into small pieces
- heat oil in pan and add onions
- stir till tender.
- add chicken and stir till it all changes colour.
- add tin of tomatoes
- add salt and allspice
- add stock mixture
- when boiling switch to low heat and add peas.
- will be ready in 1/2 hour in the meantime make the rice.
- chuck rice in small pan
- cover with 1 cup cold water
- sprinkle a bit of salt
- put onto a moderate flame
- should be ready in 15 min.
- 2 slices of toast
- olive oil
- preheat grill to maximum
- smear oil onto pieces of bread
- generously add the za3tar
- put under gril for 2 to 3 min.
- 2 pieces of pitta bread
- cheap pitted black olives, 6
- 2 mushrooms
- 1/2 green pepper
- grated cheese… mozeralla or cheap cheddar
- preheat oven to 200 celcius
- smear ketchup onto both pieces of bread
- finely chop mushrooms and pepper
- halve the olives
- add mushrooms, olives and pepper to bread
- sprinkle oregano
- cover in cheese
- put in oven for 20 min
Ma’loobi is a traditional middle eastern dish, and is thus desgined to feed a million people, getting it to taste ‘right’ when making it in small quantities took some work🙂
- 1/2 aubergine (cubed) or some cauliflower
- 3 pieces of lamb, or 1 chopped chicken breast (or 2 chicken legs)
- allspice, and salt
- 1 cup of rice (basmati/long grain)
- Heat oil in small pan
- fry the aubergine/cauliflour in pan (not frying), remove from pan and set aside.
- in same panfry the meat/chicken till COOKED, may need to fillet them (i.e. bash them withwooden spoon till flattish), remove and set aside
- we’re sticking with the same pan (lazy guide too!), sprinkle some rice onto the botton, then chuck in veggie and meat, add rest of rice.
- In jug, dissolve stock cube in 1 pint water, then add to pan.
- add the salt and allspice too.
- put onto moderate heat and cook for 20 min. If rice is cooked, eat and enjoy.
best served with yoghurt and a salad.